UK Work Visas for Overseas Trained Teachers

Most of our overseas trained teachers enter the UK on an appropriate work Visa; Youth Mobility Visa, Ancestry, Right of Abode, Dependent Spousal Visa, European Community Citizenship or a Work Permit. You can learn which of these is best suited to your situation by visiting your local British High Commission website:

If you dont have one of these Visas then you may need to enter as a Skilled Migrant. Non EEU migrants will need to pass a points-based assessment before they are given permission to enter or remain in the UK. The new system and teaching requirements in the UK is built on a five-tier framework comprising the following categories:

  • Tier 1: Highly-skilled individuals to contribute to growth and productivity
  • Tier 2: Skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in United Kingdom labour force
  • Tier 3: Low-skilled workers needed to fill temporary labour shortages
  • Tier 4: Students
  • Tier 5: Youth Mobility Scheme (Temporary workers) – This type of visa is most commonly used by the under 30’s for working in Education in the UK. You can apply for this visa if you:
    • want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
    • are aged 18 to 30
    • have £1,890 in savings
    • have certain types of British Nationality or are from Australia

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the date you travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

For more information on work Visas, please visit the Consulate website in your country or contact us, we’re happy to assist you to navigate this process.