Facebook Tracker



Requirements for Teaching in the UK

Non EEU migrants will need to pass a points-based assessment before they are given permission to enter or remain in the UK. The new system and teaching requirements in the UK is built on a five-tier framework comprising the following categories:

  • Tier 1: Highly-skilled individuals to contribute to growth and productivity

  • Tier 2: Skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in United Kingdom labour force

  • Tier 3: Low-skilled workers needed to fill temporary labour shortages

  • Tier 4: Students

  • Tier 5: Youth Mobility Scheme (Temporary workers) - This type of visa is most commonly used by the under 30's for working in Education in the UKYou can apply for this visa if you:

    • want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years

    • are aged 18 to 30

    • have £1,890 in savings

    • have certain types of British Nationality or are from Australia

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the date you travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

Fees - It costs £230 to apply

You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months. You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay. If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.

What you can and can’t do:

You can:

  • Study - for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate.

  • Work in most jobs.

  • be self-employed and set up a company - as long as your premises are rented, your equipment isn’t worth more than £5,000 and you don’t have any employees.

You can’t:

  • Work as a professional sportsperson (e.g. as a coach), doctor or dentist in training - unless you can show you qualified in the UK

  • Extend your stay

  • Get access to public funds/Bring in family members on your application - they must apply separately

Please use this link to visit the UKBA Immigration official website – Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (Temporary workers) Visas application information https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility

The Points-Based System: Tier 1 - There are four categories of Tier 1 under which highly skilled individuals can apply, these are:

  • Highly-skilled workers category (General)
  • Entrepreneur’s category
  • Investor’s category
  • Post-study workers category

The Points Based System: Tiers 2, 4 and 5 - Points are awarded to visa applicant depending on their application information:

  • Tier 2: The skilled worker coming to the U.K
  • Tier 4: Allowing adult students from overseas to study in the UK. 
  • Tier 5: Work temporarily in the UK, It is for a maximum twelve-month or twenty-four month stay in the UK, depending on the type of work.