Sponsor A Teacher’s Work Visa

Many of the foreign trained teachers we have are from Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Ireland. Most of these will hold Youth Mobility or Ancestry Visas. On occasion, however, some great applicants are ineligible for these and we seek to find an employer to sponsor a teacher’s work Visa. A Star Teachers have now expanded our overseas operations to source and screen experienced teachers who fall outside traditional Visa routes. We can now support schools in processing Tier 2 Sponsorship visas.

How can your school sponsor a teacher’s work Visa?

Ask your Local Authority or Academy Trust if they hold a Sponsorship Licence, if not your school can apply of one. You will then need to complete the Resident Market Labour Test (except in the cases of the Shortage Occupation List subjects – currently Maths, Physics and Chemistry) which will demonstrate you have been unable to source a suitable teacher in the UK.

A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) can be applied for through the online Sponsorship Management System which you will have access to through a Sponsorship Licence. This works as a portal which allows you to keep track of your application process.

  • Applications must be received by the 5th day of each month in order to be considered in that month’s allocation meeting.
  • The allocation meeting which will determine if your CoS is granted, takes place on the first working day after the 10th day of each month.

When the application has been successfully granted, the CoS will then be issued to the school. These details can then be supplied to the candidate who can then apply for their Tier 2 visa with a processing time of 2-4 weeks.

For further information on the sponsorship process, visit the government information page or read our  Frequently Asked Questions page.